…And Done! I just finished filling all of the precinct packets, checking them twice, and making sure that no one is overlooked for tomorrow’s caucus meetings. I’ve been fielding a number of phone calls this past week from neighbors who want to participate in the process of government. I thought I’d take a moment now to recap some of the questions asked and make one last plea for everyone everywhere to attend their caucus meetings.
- Where and when is my caucus meeting? Depending on where you live, it is either at the Stansbury Park Clubhouse (Stansbury Park, Erda, Lakepoint); Tooele Courthouse auditorium (Tooele, Pine Canyon, Wendover, Grantsville); or Stockton Fire Station (Stockton, Ophir, Vernon, Rush Valley, Terra, Dugway, Ibapah). Caucuses start at 7:00 p.m. and run until 8:00 p.m., tomorrow night, March 23rd.
- Who is invited to attend? You are! Everyone is invited to participate in the Democratic caucus meetings, regardless of political affiliation or lack thereof. You will not be required to join the Democratic party in order to let your voice be heard.
- What are these for, exactly? Caucus meetings are the basic unit of democracy. At these meetings, we will elect precinct leaders and county delegates to send to the county convention. At the county convention, state delegates will be chosen to represent Tooele at the state convention.
- When and where are these conventions, just so I can put them on my calendar? The Tooele County Democratic Party Convention will be Wednesday, April 14th at the Tooele County Courthouse auditorium at 7:00 p.m. The Utah State Democratic Party convention will be May 8th at the Salt Palace, registration starting at 8:00 a.m.
- Do I need to bring anything to caucuses? Pens always seem to be in short supply, so you may want to bring your own, just in case. Also, donations via cash or check will be gratefully accepted.